Come see how butcher block counter tops can invite heat and performance into your house. With correct care, they could be a stunning addition to your house for years to return.
You is perhaps contemplating them, however questioning in the event that they’re a good suggestion. Are they secure for meals? Will they maintain as much as water?
Butcher block counter tops can do all of it, including a wealthy, elegant wooden tone for atmosphere and traditional model. Be taught extra on this full information!
You recognize me, I like to make houses really feel heat and comfortable, and butcher block is an ideal option to do it! In our just lately completed basement bar, we determined so as to add heat and a gentle, mild end with these stunning counter tops.
Butcher block isn’t only for one design aesthetic, both. Sure, it suits with conventional and farmhouse model. However even fashionable model can use the heat of wooden and nonetheless really feel smooth.
We additionally focus on different supplies, together with laminate, stable floor, and concrete on this submit about kinds of countertop edges.
Use the drop down Desk of Contents menu to navigate this submit, and don’t overlook to pin it and save for later!
What Is Butcher Block?
Butcher block, additionally known as butcher’s block, is a wooden floor that’s manufactured from slim strips of wooden glued collectively and sanded to create one thick, easy slab. It’s a sturdy countertop materials, in addition to a pretty one.
Typically when folks discuss with wooden counter tops, they’re actually speaking about butcher block. Many wooden counter tops are maple, though oak, walnut, cherry, hickory, and teak are different standard choices.
You may stain butcher block counter tops to any shade you want, or you may merely seal them their pure shade.
Often Requested Questions
No, sizzling pots and pans can burn wooden counters and even trigger it to crack. It’s finest to make use of a trivet or sizzling pad to guard the floor from warmth.
Butcher block counters are sanitary as soon as they’re correctly sealed. If left unsealed, they may take in germs and micro organism and will probably be unsafe for meals preparation. Correctly sealed, they’re completely secure and sanitary for meals prep. They do have to be resealed recurrently.
Butcher block might be made out of maple, oak, cherry, hickory, teak, bamboo, at extra. At a considerably greater value, you may pay a craftsman to make butcherblock from just about any wooden.
Butcher block is an inexpensive countertop choice, with the counter tops themselves starting from $23-$60 per sq. foot. Set up, in fact, will probably be a further price.
Professionals and Cons of Butcher Block Counter tops
- Provides heat – The wooden tones of butcher block add a comfy look to any house.
- Straightforward to customise – Select the kind of wooden, shade, and end you need.
- Will be refinished – You may sand down your end and alter your stain shade to match your new design.
- Low value – In comparison with different countertop choices, butcher block prices much less per sq. foot.
- DIY set up – Skilled DIYers can set up wooden counter tops themselves. Professional set up additionally prices lower than different options.
- Straightforward to scrub – Each day cleansing is straightforward with a humid clear and dish cleaning soap. It doesn’t require any fancy or costly cleaners.
- Lengthy lifespan – With correct care, butcher block counters can last as long as 20 years. Laminate counter tops usually have to be changed between 10 and 15 years.
- Not waterproof – Butcher block may be very delicate to water. They are often put in round a sink if they’re sealed very properly, re-sealed month-to-month, and dried straight away after they turn into moist. Butcher block counter tops can are not beneficial for loos due to the publicity to moisture.
- Dent simply – Wooden is of course gentle, so it isn’t a shock that butcher block counter tops can turn into dinged, dented, and scratched. Embrace this look, and you’ll want to use a chopping board when utilizing a knife.
- Can burn – The identical tip applies when dealing with sizzling pots and pans. They will burn and even crack wooden counters, so it’s finest to make use of a trivet or sizzling pad beneath to guard the floor.
- Can increase and contract – Identical to wood flooring, butcher block can increase in heat temperatures and contract when it’s cool. In excessive temperatures, they’ll warp and even crack.
The place to Use Butcher Block Counter tops
Whereas it isn’t beneficial to be used in loos as a result of it isn’t essentially the most moisture-resistant choice, there are such a lot of methods to make use of butcher block.
Butcher Block Stain
How do you end them? You may stain them, seal with polyurethane, select a matte or shiny end, or just situation with mineral oil.
Ending with mineral oil requires essentially the most maintenance, because you’ll must reapply month-to-month because the wooden dries out. Nevertheless, it’s additionally the best to do, because you don’t must sand something all the way down to refinish the floor.
In the long run, it comes all the way down to what you need, how you intend to make use of your floor, and the way a lot work you’re keen to place into sustaining your counter tops.
When you’ll be staining, keep in mind to pattern a small part first, as a result of woods deal with stains and colours in another way. See our favourite stain and sealant choice within the sources part on the finish of this submit.
Find out how to Keep Wooden Counter tops
Butcher block has a status for being excessive upkeep – don’t let that deter you. With the correct care, your butcher block counter tops can keep stunning for years to return.
Each day Care
- Wooden is absorbent and may stain, so it’s vital to deal with small mishaps in a well timed method.
- You should utilize a nylon scraper to flippantly scrape the floor free from something that has dried in place. To wipe the floor, use a material dampened with water and delicate dishwashing cleaning soap.
- Keep in mind to by no means saturate wooden counter tops with water. In the event that they do turn into overly moist, ensure to dry them fully as quickly as potential.
- For recent stains, strive sprinkling them with baking soda. Rub it in then depart it to soak up the stain for a couple of minutes. Dampen a material or sponge with delicate dish cleaning soap or undiluted vinegar, and use it to clean on the stain.
- Or, sprinkle some coarse salt on the stain, then rub it with half a lemon. The stain could disappear fully, but when it doesn’t you may depart it for a few days, then strive going over it with dish cleaning soap or vinegar.
Butcher block can be sanded flippantly with a high-grit sandpaper to take away stains.
Let’s be in contact! Obtain unique content material, together with never-seen-before pictures, our favourite house decor DIYs and extra!